Dapto Farm Tour
23rd June 2012
Reel Food Night
10th May 2012
6th May 2012
Dapto Community Farm Tour
24 March 2012
Lots of fun was had by everyone at the Dapto Community Farm. Click here to read more about the day.
Parsons Factory Feast Day
When: Tomorrow! 9.30 am to 5.00 pm, Saturday 12 November 2011
Where: 2-8 Parsons Street, Rozelle
Admission: $5 for adults, kids free
Come meet over 35 food producers, advocates, urban planners, providores, scientists, chefs, journalists and politicians stir the pot on where food comes from and why it matters!
Engage with friends from Permaculture Sydney, Sydney City Farm, Sydney Food Fairness Alliance, Alfalfa House, Australian Youth Food Movement and Transition Sydney.
Participate in a dynamic programme of provocative discussions with Food Connect farmers on peri-urban farming, the plight of bees and food production, the hot topic of truth in labelling and the free range egg industry!
Bring the whole family- fun facepainting and crafts for kids
See below for a detailed programme schedule!
Discussions and Q & A sessions - from 10am to 12.30 pm
• Farming on the urban fringe – Phil, Moonacres Farm
• The plight of bees and food in Australia – Doug, The Urban Beehive
• Truth in Labelling: free-range egg production – Ian, Clarendon Farm
• The role of aquaculture in sustainable fishing – Ocean Watch, Pure Oysters SA
• Does MSA certification mean sustainability – Koorong Fisheries
• Sustainability – a case study – Vince Heffernan, Moorlands Biodynamic Farm
(dependent on shearing commitments)
• Cooking – Rosada’s Kitchen & The Commons Dining Room
• Butchering at Feather and Bone
• Filleting and oyster shucking at Martin’s
Tastings - all day
- Food Connect
Stalls with produce from all the farmers!
- Feather and Bone
- All day bbq run by Felix Rutz of Bei Amici
- Martin’s Seafood
- Natural Selection Theory: Live Natural Wine
- Bottle and Glass wine
- Montecatini Specialty Smallgoods
Kids’ room - all day
• Facepainting and craft
(Limit of 20 kids at any time)
See you there!
Sustainably Connecting the City and the Farms
Join us on Nov 1st for a dynamic evening focusing on knowing your food and where it come from!
Network and hear from:
- Food Connect- a social enterprise that aims to make organic and ethically grown food affordable while paying farmers a fair price.
- Jared Ingersoll, Head Chef behind Danks Street Depot and Cotton Duck, who is committed to sourcing sustainable produce
- Free range providores Feather & Bone who encourage their customers to be more aware of where our food comes from and how every part of the cycle from ‘paddock to plate’ directly or indirectly affects us and our environment.
- Alfalfa House Sydney’s oldest not-for-profit food co-op that provides members with minimally packaged and processed, affordable, wholesome, organic food.
- Sydney City Farm – a community organisation working with local councils to establish City Farms in Sydney to provide a showcase of how we can live more sustainably and have greater connection with where our food comes from.
Delicious free-range, organic and chemical free food (with veg/vegan options) - supplied and catered by Food Connect, Feather & Bone, Alfalfa House and The Falconer
Tuesday 1st of November 2011, 6:00pm.
Entry contribution: $20
Food Connect Warehouse & Feather & Bone Factory, 2/8 Parsons St, Rozelle NSW 2039.
Spring Harvest Lunch at The Commons Local Eating House
Join us this Saturday at The Commons for a decadent four-course lunch!
They’re cooking up Food Connect produce – including some interesting items like dandelion, nettles, and radish flowers– and some delicious selections from our foodhub neighbour Feather and Bone!
Four Course lunch with a glass of wine
Only $55 per person or $500 for a table for ten
To book: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9358 1487
Events in August
Thursday 25th : Sydney Premiere of Anima Mundi
A film by Peter Charles Downey at the Chauvel Cinema in Paddington on August 25 at 7pm. For more information: animamundimovie.com Tickets are $20 and available at www.animamundi.eventzilla.net. A benefit for Australian Youth Climate Coalition, 100% Renewable Campaign and Beyond Zero Emissions. Food Connect will be supplying local organic and chemical free fingerfood.
Sunday 28th : Footprints Ecofestival
Whether you’re an avid environmental crusader, an eco novice, young or old,
you’ll find something fun in the schedule packed full of entertainment, workshops, hands on experiences and more.
Nestled in the back streets of Annandale, the Whites Creek Valley Parklands hosts a community garden, ecological wetlands and sustainable cottage community centre.
For more information: http:www.footprintsecofestival.com.au
Autumn Farm Tour
We had an amazing day out last Saturday exploring a couple of Sydney basin farms and meeting the wonderful people who grow our food.
The generous hospitality of Lins certified organic farm in Londonderry was unsurpassed as we were greeted with freshly cooked pumpkin fritters and sliced pomelo straight from the tree.
Guided around the farm we witnessed the delicious asian greens and fennel in various stages of growth and saw green oak lettuce and cavolo nero kale waiting to be harvested for your box this week.
Then venturing on to Matt & Sue’s certified organic family farm, Swallow Rock in Ebenezer. We immediately found new best friends in the family labradors (even after their frolic in the dam and a roll in the mud!).
We impersonated garlic farmers by sorting and planting cloves and were taught the tricks of the trade by our old Food Connect family member Ian.
Swallow Rock mainly produces potatoes and pork which work in harmony on the farm. After the potato harvest the pigs move into the paddock to act as a natural pest control and fertiliser, brilliant! After a tour of the free ranging pig paddocks we enjoyed a picnic on a beautiful site overlooking the farm.
It was amazing to learn the struggles and triumphs of organic farming and the true appreciation of life on the land our farmers have.
The tour was a great success, giving us an exciting and tangible education on local Sydney organic farming. Stay up to date with exciting events by joining our facebook and come and join in our next great farm adventure!
On Saturday, June 4 we held a tour of a couple of Sydney basin farmers and meet the wonderful people who grow our food. All are welcome subscribers and non-subscribers, friends and children!
The day is planned to go from 10am–2pm and include:
- Visit to Lins certified organic farm in Londonderry: vegetables and sprouts
- Visit to Swallow Rock certified organic farm in Ebenezer: fruit, vegies and sustainable pork. As seen on Masterchef!
- Field visit and question time
- Hands on: learn to plant garlic
- Bring a picnic
Cost: $10 for adults and $5 for children.
The day will be self-drive and detailed plans and maps will be provided.
We’ll be encouraging car pooling, so ask your City Cousin if they are going and/or if they know of other subscribers in your group that are planning on going.
Spring Equinox Farm Visit
We’d love to invite you to our Spring Equinox event on Sunday, September 26 at Mamre Homestead in St Marys, 1 Mamre Rd.
We’ll be shown around the farm where we will be able to see exactly how our food is grown by the farmers who grow it.
For the more adventurous, there will be an opportunity to get your hands dirty doing some farm work. Depending on what’s on at the time, we’ll be doing some planting or composting.
Afterwards, have a chat and something to eat in the paddock with other Food Connectors!
Bring a chair or blanket to sit on and food for lunch. There is a cafe on-site, but we won’t be right next to it.
RSVP to email@example.com
The day will unfold like this:
- 10.45 am : Arrive at Mamre
- 11.00 am : Farmer introductions
- 11.30 am : Tour of the farm
- 12.00 pm : Get your hands dirty
- 12.30 pm : Lunch in the paddock (games for the young at heart)
24 June, 2010. See some photos from the night! Click here.
Conference – Social Innovations and Our Future, Blacktown City Council, 15 April
Julian will be presenting on the challenges of establishing and replicating a social enterprise.
Festival – Spot Food and Film Festival, Randwick, Sunday 7th March, 1 pm – 6 pm.
One of our farmers and three of our own staff will be celebrity chefs for the day, showcasing some delicious meals you can make with our fresh NSW farm produce.
More information here.
Farmer on Show
One of our farmers, Rita from Kemps Creek, will be appearing on Costas Garden Odyssey during the next program series that starts on SBS One on 18th March. Watch out for this!